Valley girl's playlist!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Listen to alliegirl33@msn.coms Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Created by OnePlusYou
Created by OnePlusYou

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hawaiian 101.... Let's learn the lingo!

I thought we better know the "lingo" if we are going to be living there for 6 weeks! haha So, let's study!.....

Pronunciation Guide:
Hawaiian only has 12 letters: A, E, H, I, K, L, M, N, O, P, U, and W.

Consonants:
Pronounce P, K as in English but with less aspiration
Pronounce H, L, M, N as in English
W after I and E is usually pronounced like V, but after U and O usually pronounced like W; initially and after A, it can be pronounced like V or W.

Vowels:
Each of the 5 vowels is generally uniform with some exceptions:
A like A in far, tar; also like UH in much
E like AY in bay, lay; also like E in bet;
I like Y in city; also like E eve
O like O in no, so
U like OO in moon; also like U in true

How to Hawaiianize your name:
There are two ways to determine the Hawaiin equivalent of your name: Find the meaning and then obtain the Hawaiian meaning for it OR by the process of transliteration (most common), which means to replace the letters in the English name with the Hawaiian letters-not too easy!
Here is the formula:
Replace B, F, P, with P
Replace C, D, G, J, K, Q, S, T, X, Z with K
Replace H with H
Replace N with N
Replace L, R with L
Replace V, W with W
Replace Y with I
Vowels remain the same. Also, be sure to separate all consonants with a vowel. For example: Barbara would be Palapala because there must be a vowel between the "r" and "b".

Allie/Allison... you can call me Alie (all-ee-ay) or Alikana (all-ee-k-aw-n-aw).
Michelle... you can call her Mikelle--well, I looked it up and it's really Mikala (m-ee-k-aw-l-aw). I think I forgot to separate the consonants-dang grammar rule haha!
Jaymee... you can call her Kaimee (k-aw-ee-m-ay). I couldn't find it online though, so that's Allie, I mean Allikana's, translation--don't have Jaymme, I mean, c'mon!
Ashley... you can call her Akhlei (aw-k-huh-l-ay-ee)

From now on, it's all Hawaiin. Hawaiian or ASL haha--and only Chelle knows ASL dang it!
http://www.hawaiianshop.com/Hawaiian_Names.html

No comments:

Post a Comment